Like strength training and cardiovascular exercise, weight training is a beneficial activity for the health of your body. While weight training helps to promote strong bone health, it can cause a variety of injuries — particularly when done improperly.
Bench presses, squats, lunges, dead lifts and curls are types of weight lifting techniques that can lead to injuries. The most common weight lifting injuries involve the back, shoulders, and knees because they bear the brunt of the range of motion and weight lifted during a weight lifting session. These injuries include:
- Shoulder Impingement Syndrome - Inflammation of the tendons that hold the shoulder in its proper position.
- Patellar tendonitis - Inflammation of the tendons of the knee.
- Rotator cuff tears - Refers to a rip in one or more tendons of the shoulder.
- Back strain or sprain - While a strain involves torn tendons or muscles, sprains relate to stretched or torn ligaments.
- Herniated disk - Refers to a slippage or rupture of one of the cushions between the vertebrae within the backbone.
Here at Bezak Chiropractic and Rehabilitation, we have seen our share of injuries suffered as a result of improper techniques used in weightlifting, whether they are sustained by amateur or professional weightlifters. Fortunately, injured weightlifters can see tremendous benefits from chiropractic treatments. If you are an injured weight lifter or want to learn more about preventing weight lifting injuries, contact us directly today.